Yes, these are an indulgence but right now, personally, I need an indulgence. I need something that makes me feel good. I’ll just have to work out a bit harder today.
On the weekends, my husband and I always visit a local bakery. Scones are one of my favorite baked items to get. However, I’m trying to be a good citizen and practice physical distancing and limit my time shopping to limit my possibility of contracting a virus.
As the studies indicate, cooking at home can reduce anxiety and fight off depression. Therefore, I’ll keep cooking.
Ingredients (8 Servings)
1¾ Cups of Flour
1/3 Cup of sugar – extra for sprinkling over scones
2 Tsp. of baking powder
½ Tsp. of salt
5 Tbsp. of chilled butter in pieces
½ Cup of dark chocolate chip
¼ Cup of dried cranberries
¼ Cup of Milk
1 Tsp. of vanilla or almond extract
2 Tbsp. of orange juice – more as needed
- Preheat oven at 400 F degrees.
- Place dry ingredients and butter into a food processor or incorporate butter by hand until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Place in a bowl and mix in the chocolate chips and cranberries.
- Add half the milk to make into a workable dough.
- Lightly work the dough on a floured surface.
- Shape dough into a circle and cut into eighths.
- Sprinkle and pat down dough with sugar turbinado sugar.
- Place pieces on a pan onto parchment paper.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes until golden brown.