My friend Gabriel Magraner from NALAC (Nat. Assoc. of Latino Arts & Culture) visited the area to prepare for the NALAC Regional Training that is taking place in Charlotte from June 2 to the 3rd.
Since Gabriel is of Puerto Rican descent, I wanted to make him something very popular in the Caribbean, Pastelón de Papas or potatoes and beef casserole.
This is a super easy recipe to put together once you have the picadillo filling and the mashed potatoes all made. This is a great recipe to make ahead of time and put in the freezer to eat later in the week.
Ingredients for Potatoes:
- 3 lbs of potatoes
- 1/4 of butter
- 1/2 cup of Parmesan Cheese
- 2 eggs
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- 1 lb. of ground beef (I prefer 90/10)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 large onion
- ½ green bell pepper
- 1 small sweet red pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 10 oz. of beef or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of Adobo
- ½ tablespoon of oregano
- 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ tablespoons of pimiento-stuffed olives (optional)
- 1 ½ tablespoons of capers (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of raisins (optional)
- Pinch of Cinnamon or Allspice (optional)