I must be losing my mind. For no apparent reason, I had, not one, not two but three bags of red potatoes in the pantry. Since I looove me some potato salad, I decided we would have some with our 4th of July dinner.
What better 4th of July side dish to accompany a simple menu of hamburgers, corn, watermelon, etc. However, I wasn’t much in the mood for the heaviness of mayonnaise and I did not have that much time to prepare this dish. So what is a girl to do?…..Go French. I should say more French inspired, because I used what I had on hand for my version.
This salad is full of fresh herbs and full-bodied flavors. Notice I cut the potato in ¼ slices before cooking, thus making preparation super quick and easy. Although this is called a salad, I see it more as a side dish that can pair well with baked chicken or fish. You can serve this potato salad warm or cold. This is also a great vegan option.
- 2 pounds small new potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into ¼-inch thick rounds
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons of water of cooked potatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lightly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- Roughly chopped green onions for garnish
- Place sliced potatoes, in salted water, in a large saucepan.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Once it boils, reduce heat to medium-low until potatoes are done, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Place potatoes in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the olive oil, ¼ cup parsley, champagne vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic and freshly ground black pepper in a blender or food processor.
- Process the herbs and garlic until finely chopped. Incorporate in the reserved cooking water and blend just until emulsified. It should look creamy.
- Drizzle the potatoes with the herbed olive oil mixture and mix well. Let it soak in for 5 to 10 minutes to let the flavors seep into the potatoes.
- Add the celery and the chopped shallots to the bowl, along with some of the chopped parsley and green onions and toss.
- Season again with salt and pepper as needed.
You can serve it warm immediately, or refrigerate until you’re ready to serve.