After the family visit this past weekend, we had soooo much food and fruits left over. We had an overabundance of strawberries in particular. So I’m putting all those berries to good use making one of my favorite desserts during strawberries season – Strawberry Shortcake.
This is a perfect brunch or after dinner dessert or, as I ended up doing, a mid- day snack with a friend outside on the deck in a glorious summer afternoon. This is a super easy recipe to bake and prepare. There is no kneading involved and it only takes about 20 minutes to prepare.
- 2 cups of flour
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 ¼ tablespoons of coconut oil (2 tablespoons of shortening)
- ¾ cut of half and half
- Melted butter to brush shortcakes
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
- 1 pint of strawberries (or any other berries available)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (or rum)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Heat oven at 450 degrees
- Into a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
- Cut in with your fingers the butter and coconut oil.
- Mix in the half and half, until all flour is incorporated.
- Drop big spoonful of dough onto baking sheet.
- Brush top with butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Tip: Keep coconut oil in refrigerator to maintain at a solid state.